What is Bloating?
Bloating is a common and bothersome digestive symptom and is one of the most frequently reported symptoms of people with gastrointestinal issues such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Bloating can be defined as the feeling of increased pressure within the abdomen often accompanied with visible abdominal distention. It can range from mild to severe and uncomfortable.
It’s important to remember that some amount of bloating is normal. We all have that sensation of our jeans feeling a little tight after a large meal or a couple of beers, and with the return of outdoor dining we may experience that feeling of bloating a little more often over the coming weeks! However, if symptoms are persistent, severe, and affecting your quality of life then it may be time to find ways to tackle your bloating.
There is no one single cause of bloating and while symptoms are often reported after eating foods such as fatty foods, high fibre foods or dairy, the causes are in fact much more complex! It’s important to understand what’s causing your bloating before you can tackle it! But here are some proven ways to help beat the bloat.
Tips on How to Beat It!
- Take time over your meals and chew your food properly
- Reduce intake of gas producing foods such as beans, fermented foods if your intake of these foods is high.
- Maintain a consistent eating routine, try not to skip meals
- Regular exercise can help to accelerate gas transit and reduce bloating
- Avoid activities that could cause you to swallow air including use of chewing gum, consuming fizzy drinks, talking while eating, chewing with your mouth open
- Stay hydrated! Water encourages the passage of waste through your digestive system and can prevent constipation and help with bloating. Aim to drink water with each of your meals and set yourself a goal of reaching 8 glasses/1-2L of water every day!
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and limit intake of fatty processed foods.
- Keep a food diary to identify foods and drinks that may trigger bloating. Don’t forget, it’s important to speak to a health professional before deciding to eliminate foods from your diet. Here at Gourmet Fuel you can speak to one of our nutritionists to find out more about how we can help you optimise your digestion!