Tips for Swapping to a Healthier Diet
by Elena Vicente | 25th May 2023
Swapping out certain foods for healthier alternatives can have a positive impact on your overall health and support healthy weight loss.
It's easy to fall into the habit of eating certain foods without realizing that there are healthier options that can be just as enjoyable.
Here is a List of Easy Swaps to Try
- Swap white pasta, rice and bread for whole grain food
- Swap cereals high in sugar for Weetabix, porridge or wholegrain cereals and seeds, such as chia or flax
- Swap biscuits and chocolate for healthier snacks, such as a handful of nuts, trail mix or fruit
- Swap yogurts high in added sugar for plain yogurt and add fresh fruit instead
- Swap whole fat milk for skimmed milk
- Try to cut down the intake of red and processed meat and opt for lean cuts of meat such as poultry
- Try to reduce the intake of cured meat for healthier options, such as eggs, cheese or hummus
- Swap salted nuts for unsalted mixed nuts
- Use herbs and spices instead of salt to flavour meals when cooking
- Swap salad dressing such as Caesar dressing for a yogurt dressing or vinaigrette
- Swap sugary beverages for sparkling water with added berries, lemon or mint
- Try to limit the consumption of fried food and instead opt for cooking methods that require less use of olive or butter, such as braising, steaming, or sautéing with vegetable broth or water.
Here are a few healthy tips that can help you to manage your hunger and keeping you feeling satisfied for a longer period without the urge to snack.
- Try to incorporate more whole grain foods into your diet to increase your fiber intake
- You can also boost your protein intake by consuming animal protein or for a healthier option, plant-based protein such as pulses, quinoa, nuts or whole grain pasta and rice
- Drink two glasses of water before meals or when you feel hungry to help you feel fuller and reduce cravings
- If you feel particularly hungry, consider eating a serving of fruit or low-fat yogurt before your main meal
- Remember to chew your food slowly to aid digestion
Why not try to make some swaps this week and decide which ones would suit you and your family better?
You could start some new healthier habits and eating patterns that can be used in your household and help you to have a more balanced diet and lifestyle.
It may sound simple, however, making changes while managing a busy lifestyle may be difficult for many. So make sure to start small with one or two changes at a time. It also tends to be a more efficient strategy for making long-term changes!
If you are having some difficulties to start or achieve your goals, do not hesitate to book a consultation with one of our registered nutritionist to discuss more suitable and healthy swaps for you and your family.