The summer season can be a time where our schedule can be all over the place but it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your nutrition or health goals. Make this summer yours by sticking to your health goal while also enjoying the sunshine!
Here are some tips to incorporate into your summer routine to aid your healthy eating snacking in summer:
- Eat lighter snacks and more often - with the higher temperatures we naturally eat less. However, skipping meals can leave us without energy and feeling fatigued therefore smaller portions of nutritious food can keep us energised for the longer summer days.
- Try to consume fruit and vegetables that are in season. For Irish produce in June, find Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, and Apples.
- If you find it hard to stay hydrated during the warmer months, try adding fruit into your water to try to help the taste and to achieve 2-2.5L of water daily.
- To curb cravings and temptations whilst still satisfying your appetite, make an effort to consume smaller portions of your desired foods as healthy eating is all about balance.
- Look out for foods with a higher water content such as cucumber, watermelon and lettuce to keep you hydrated during the day. Salads are a great way to incorporate veggies into your diet whilst also being a light meal in summer.
- Be mindful of caffeine intake and try to opt for iced coffees as they have a higher water content.
Here are a couple of suggestions and tips to use when planning your snacks this summer:
- Frozen greek natural yoghurt instead of ice cream - as it has a higher protein content and lower sugar content.
- Try selecting small side salads instead of chunky chips at meal times.
- Add your fruit salad onto leftover skewers - this way you get a range of flavours as well as various vitamins and minerals!
- Freeze leftover fruit such as bananas or oranges and dip them into dark chocolate as this snack will be full of antioxidants.
- For a savoury snack, try swapping crisps with a nut trail mix to get the salty flavours.
- Make your snacks at home such as homemade smoothies with plant-based milks and fruit.
Here at GourmetFuel we have a number of snacks and sides that can take the pressure off at meal times: Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Salad, Cajun Roasted Nuts, Cranberry Chocolate Granola Bar, Green Superfood Salad, Hazelnut Protein Bites.
If you want help designing a meal plan this summer that fits your busy schedule, book in for a Nutrition Consultation with one of our nutrition experts, where your lifestyle factors and health needs are taken into account to create the best meal plan for you. We are here to aid your journey this summer and support your physical and mental wellbeing!